Monday, May 27, 2019

REMARKS BY PRESIDENT TRUMP AT COUPLES DINNER WITH THE PRIME MINISTER OF JAPAN AND MRS. ABE

Office of the Press Secretary
REMARKS BY PRESIDENT TRUMP
AT COUPLES DINNER WITH THE PRIME MINISTER OF JAPAN AND MRS. ABE

Inakaya East
Tokyo, Japan

6:16 P.M. JST
May 26, 2019

 
PRESIDENT TRUMP:  Well, thank you very much.  We've had a great time, a great stay.  And tomorrow is really the main event -- a very important event in the history of Japan.  It's over 200 years since something like this has happened.  So it's a great honor to be representing the United States.

And the Prime Minister and I talked a lot today about trade and military and various other things.  And I think we had a very productive day.  And tomorrow, likewise, will be a very productive day.

And I just want to thank you.  That was an incredible evening at sumo -- sumo wrestling.  And the United States -- we contributed -- I did this one personally.  I didn't want to have anybody get me in trouble, so we did it personally.  We bought that beautiful trophy, which they'll have, hopefully, for many hundreds of years.  And that will be their trophy for the championship -- sumo championships.  And I think it was very nice.

And I -- we really enjoyed being there.  It was something to see these great athletes, because they really are athletes.  It's a very ancient sport.  And I've always wanted to see sumo wrestling, so it was really great.

Thank you very much for being here.

PRIME MINISTER ABE:  (No translation provided.)

PRESIDENT TRUMP:  Thank you very much.

                         END                 6:18 P.M. JST
 

No comments:

Post a Comment