Friday, May 1, 2020

REMARKS BY PRESIDENT TRUMP BEFORE MARINE ONE DEPARTURE

Office of the Press Secretary
REMARKS BY PRESIDENT TRUMP
BEFORE MARINE ONE DEPARTURE

South Lawn

 
5:24 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT:  So I’ll be going to Camp David for a working weekend.  We’re going to be spending a lot of time with meetings and phone calls and some foreign leaders.  So we look forward to that, and we’ll be back very soon.  I guess we’re doing something pretty big on Sunday night at the Lincoln Memorial.  That’ll be very nice.  But we’ll be back soon and I think some of you will be traveling out around the area where I’m going.  But we’ll be at Camp David for a working weekend.

Q    The North Korean leader just surfaced at a fertilizer plant in North Korea.  Do you know about this?  Anything you can tell us about him?

THE PRESIDENT:  Yeah, I rather not comment on it yet -- Kim Jong Un.  We’ll have something to say about it at the appropriate time.

Q    Can you at least confirm that he’s alive?

Q    As a friend to the Brazilian President, would you advise him to support social distancing?

THE PRESIDENT:  I think he’s doing a very good job.  He’s a great friend of mine.  And the President is doing really well in Brazil.  We’re very proud of him.

Q    How about the situation with the coronavirus in Brazil?  Are you worried?

THE PRESIDENT:  Well, they have -- they’ve been hit hard.  Brazil has been hit very hard.  But you have a President that’s doing a very good job.

Q    Mr. President?  Mr. --

Q    Mr. President, do you know that Kim is alive?  Can you at least say that?

THE PRESIDENT: I don’t want to talk about it.

Q    Mr. President --

Q    Are you going to be talking to him this weekend?

THE PRESIDENT:  I may.

Q    You -- you talked about potential tariffs on China yesterday.  Is that something that’s under serious consideration?

THE PRESIDENT:  So we’re going to see what happens.  A lot of things are happening with respect to China.  We’re not happy, obviously, with what happened.  This is a bad situation.  All over the world -- 182 countries.  But we’ll be having a lot to say about that.  We -- it’s certainly an option.  It’s certainly an option, John.

Q    You said that you have a good relationship?

THE PRESIDENT:  It’s certainly an option.

Q    Mr. President, are you going to be social distanc- --are you going to be social distancing during your work weekend?

THE PRESIDENT:  Yeah, I will.

Q    May I ask you a quick question about reopening, Mr. President?  A week -- a week ago, you said you were not happy with Governor Kemp about opening up in Georgia.  While there have been --

THE PRESIDENT:  I didn’t say that, John.  I said I didn’t like the particular place -- a spa, a tattoo parlor.

No, no, I think it’s wonderful.  I want to see us open safely, but I didn’t like spas and tattoo parlors, and I wasn’t thrilled about that.  But I did -- I said nothing about Georgia, other than that.

I like the states opening.  They will be opening.  They're going to open safely and quickly, I hope, because we have to get our country back.

Thank you.  Thank you.

                                  END       5:28 P.M. EDT 

No comments:

Post a Comment